Three "bladed weapons" appear to have been used to kill most of the six family members found dead last week in their Gage Park neighborhood home, a Chicago police spokesman said Wednesday.
None of those weapons was recovered, however, as investigators continue to pursue leads in the slayings of Rosaura Martinez, 58; her husband, Noe Martinez Sr., 62; their son, Noe Martinez Jr., 38; their daughter, Maria Herminia Martinez, 32; and her two sons, Leonardo Cruz, 13, and Alexis Cruz, 10.
The six family members were found dead a little after 1 p.m. Thursday when police were called to the Southwest Side home in the 5700 block of South California Avenue because a man who lived there had not shown up for work.
Martinez Sr. and the children died from "multiple sharp-force injuries, " the Cook County medical examiner's office said Friday. His wife died from "multiple sharp- and blunt-force injuries, " and their son died from "multiple blunt- and multiple sharp-force injuries, " according to the office. Their daughter died from "multiple gunshot wounds." Their deaths were all ruled as homicides.
On Wednesday, Chicago police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said investigators believe three "bladed weapons, " which were either knives or other cutting instruments, were used in most of the killings.
He also said a long gun, possibly a rifle, was found in the home. But it wasn't used to kill Maria Hermina Martinez, the victim with multiple gunshot wounds, Guglielmi said.
Guglielmi said investigators have not yet established a motive for the killings. But he said they're closer to ruling out at least one theory.
Police have said the home's doors were locked, there was no sign of forced entry and the home was not ransacked. Police have said they believe the family was targeted.
The family of the victims has set up a GoFundMe page to raise money to cover funeral expenses. The funeral is scheduled for 5:30 p.m. Sunday at St. Gall Catholic Church, 5511 S. Sawyer Ave.
Guglielmi said a relative coming from Mexico to attend the funeral will be interviewed by police.
In a statement, the Mexican Consulate in Chicago said the bodies of all four adult victims will be taken to Guanajuato, in central Mexico, and the two child victims will go to Morelos, a little farther south, where they are expected to be buried.
- In Menlo Park Max Polyakov opened office of his new company